Saturday, August 5, 2017

The Full Soul

Let us begin our study today with some wise counsel found in the book of Proverbs.

Proverbs 27:5-7
5 Open rebuke is better than secret love.
6 Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.
7 The full soul loatheth an honeycomb; but to the hungry soul every bitter thing is sweet.

There is much wisdom in these three verses. If someone loves me and cares earnestly about my soul, I certainly will appreciate their wise rebuke. If they see me err and do not show me the path of righteousness, then their secret love is of no benefit to me. In reality, their failure to rebuke me and show me the truth is harmful to me and may put my soul in danger of being destroyed by my spiritual enemy, Satan.

On my part, if I am so satisfied with what I believe and what I do, that I will not receive their rebuke, then I am among those whom Solomon said have a full soul and hate the sweetness and goodness of truth.

Solomon said, “The full soul loatheth an honeycomb.” When a person is full, their appetite, their hunger and thirst is satisfied. They do not want any more. Even something sweet is no longer desirable. Have you ever heard someone say, “I am stuffed. I can not eat another bite.” Some people are stuffed on false religion, false doctrine and the pleasures of sin. They are completely satisfied to remain just as they are. Don't try to feed them another bite. They will reject the truth because their soul is full of their own selfish desires.

The full soul has no fear of hunger or thirst. Even though what they have eaten and drunk is not nutritional or beneficial to their health, they will reject healthy, nutritional food.

Drunkards are satisfied with just another drink of their alcoholic beverage.
Tobacco users are satisfied with just another cigarette, a pinch of snuff, a chew of tobacco.
Drug users, chemical abusers are satisfied with just another hit, another high.
Their physical body is crying out for nutrition and relief from the destruction; but no, they are satisfied to continue as they are.
The full soul is not looking, hunting, seeking. They want nothing more.
They have what they want. They are addicted and do not want anything more.

Psalms 42:1-2
1 As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.
2 My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?

King David describes his desire for God with this allegory of a deer that has a strong thirst for the fresh water from the flowing, refreshing streams of the water brooks. Can you say “AMEN!!!” with King David when he cries out: “My soul thirsteth for God.”? How will we know that your soul really and truly does thirst for God? We will know by your conduct and speech.

Matthew 5:6
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Can people tell by your conduct and speech that you do hunger and thirst after righteousness? When you do hunger and thirst after righteousness, with what will God fill you? God will fill you with faith and wisdom. He will fill you with the Holy Spirit. He will fill you with grace and glory.

John 4:10-15
10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.
[What causes a person to ask Jesus for the drink of water which satisfies the soul? You must know you need Him and thirst after Him. You must be thirsty for His presence and His fellowship.]
11 The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water?
12 Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle?
13 Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
15 The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw.

It is my greatest desire to help people come to the place where they would ask Jesus to give them the water of life to drink.

John 7:37-38
37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

Jesus is the only one who can satisfy the thirst of your soul.

Revelation 7:14-17
14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
15 Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them.
16 They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat.
17 For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.

The children of God are led unto living fountains of waters. Our thirst and our hunger is satisfied with spiritual blessings from God. But it is not so with sinners who die lost. Consider the rich man who neglected the needs of his neighbor Lazarus.

Luke 16:22-24
22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

How will you be after you die?
Will your soul still be thirsty? Will your tongue burn with thirst?
Or, will you be perfectly satisfied with Jesus Christ in heaven's eternity?
Your thirst can be satisfied while you are alive in this world.
Your soul and your thirst will never be satisfied in hell's eternity.

Acts 20:28
Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

It is my desire and duty to feed you. I have set a table of spiritual food before you, but I can not make you eat. You must hunger and thirst after the truth which is preached to you. I have obeyed God. I have done what I can. Now, it is up to you to do what the Holy Spirit calls you to do.

You have probably heard the expression, “I am fed up!”
They mean to let you know that they are fed up with what they are doing: or, what someone is doing. They don't want to hear any more. They are fed up. They do not want any more of any thing you have to say. They are not hungry or thirsty for the message you want to share with them.

Are you fed up?
Are you tired of hearing the truth?
I like what the song poet has written:
I love to tell the story:
For those who know it best,
Seem hungering and thirsting,
To hear it like the rest.

Are you hungry and thirsty? Or, are you fed up?

No comments:

Post a Comment